Sunday, May 17, 2015

Imaging Capabilities Installed and Running at New Observatory


Imaging  capabilities have finally been installed at the new observatory! The pic shows the Mallincam Xtreme talking to a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 via a USB hub. The Surface handles both image capture and camera control. Cables are routed via a sleeve and are attached to the fork arms. A "slip loop" of cable allows adjustments of length as the scope slews. The ASI 120MM will also use the same hub when I do RGB imaging. Note the unconventional counterweight clamp--it balances the scope perfectly :) Everything is powered from a large-capacity UPS system.

The scope tripod is resting on wooden blocks. It is perfectly level and the blocks are isolated from the observatory floor. I can't wait for first light (after I give the observatory a good clean!_!

No comments:

Post a Comment

20 Hours of WR 134 with the Seestar S50

This image is a 20+ hour integration on WR 134, which is a highly energetic Wolf-Rayet star. The blue shockwave is oxygen ionized by the int...