Monday, August 12, 2024

The Lagoon Nebula in Hubble Palette--an easy way to get this result in Siril without using scripts!

 Here's a reprocess of the Lagoon Nebula with pseudo-Hubble look. I use Siril to achieve this look, but I do not use the Hubble script. I stack using the Seestar drizzle script. I perform the following steps: background extraction, green noise reduction, photometric color calibration, and star removal. I then do the Asinh transformation and the histogram stretch. When I have the image looking as I want it, I go back to the color calibration option. This time, I select the color calibration option. I then draw a small box in the darkest part of the image. I click the "use current selection" under background neutralization and click the background neutralization button. I then draw another box over the brightest and most colorful part of the nebula. I click "use current selection" under the white reference option (I don't do anything else under this option), and click Apply. The result is a Hubble Palette like image. I boost the saturation on this image, and sometimes do additional processing on other packages (you don't have to). I then add some of the stars back in using the star mask Siril created when I did the extraction. The result can be quite pleasing. Please note, I did not develop this technique; you can find it on YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment