Wednesday, June 5, 2024

The Sun on June 5, 2024 and a filter comparison



 Today’s sun and a comparison: Baader vs Thousand Oaks solar filters. I followed the advice of wiser heads and swapped out the supplied Seestar TO filter for a Baader 5.0 film. Of course, we’re expecting clouds for the next couple of days. Today it it wall-to- wall low, grey clouds. But there were a couple a 2-3 minute slight clearings, and I thought I’d put the Baader to the test. Luckily, the scope found the sun in less than a minute. Unluckily, the clear sky periods were no more than a few seconds long, so I had to settle for a single image rather than a stackable video. The single TO images I have were all taken under much better conditions of clear skies and steadier seeing. Below are two comparison cropped images to compare the filters. The TO is orange. Of course, everyone should make up their own minds, but to me the Baader is significantly superior, with much better contrast and detail, despite the poor conditions. All that I did here was crop the images. I did no other processing. To me, the Baader single capture looks better than the stacks I captured and processed with the TO.



No comments:

Post a Comment