Wednesday, April 24, 2024

The Leo Triplet with the Seestar S50

 Last night, I tested the Seestar on a DSO. The Leo Triplet isn't the easiest DSO to image, but I thought it would give me a good idea of the capabilities of this little scope. Conditions were quite good when I started imaging, but they declined rapidly after the first few minutes, and the sky was overcast with a milky haze that obscured most of the stars. Add to that the light scatter in my Bortle 8/9 skies, and things were far from ideal. Nevertheless, the scope continued to show the triplet in preview, so I contimued imaging. After about an hour, I decided to call it a night. I had 38 minutes if imaging time. The final, combined image showed field rotation artifacts, but I was able to work around them with cropping. Here is the result. Not perfect, but not bad for just 38 minutes at f/5.



No comments:

Post a Comment