Tuesday, June 28, 2022

A Starless Eagle

Messier 16, the Eagle Nebula, ia an active region of star formation in the constellation Serpens. It's an impossible object from my home observatory due to trees. However, I am visiting family in northern Indiana at a site 36 miles east of downtown Chicago. The skies are surprisingly dark, especially to the south. The portable setup for this trip was a William Optics GT-71 20th anniversary edition with 6A-II FF/FR, a Mallincam DS10C camera with filters, and a very basic iOptron Smart EQ-Pro mount. This image of the Eagle is a stack of 124 integrations captured at 20, 25, and 30s with an L-eXtreme-2 filter. The imaging was unguided and I manually dithered. I decided to do a starless version of the nebula as I'm having trouble adjusting the backfocus on the FF/FR and stars at the edge of the image are distorted. I'm quite pleased with the image, given the very basic imaging setup.




No comments:

Post a Comment